Diamonds are a girl’s best friend and never lose their popularity.What better way to show someone how much they mean to you than with a sparkling diamond to make that special moment a lasting memory? Here we look at some fascinating diamond facts:
1. Many people don’t know that diamonds are formed almost 200km beneath the earth. When magma from erupted volcanos makes its way to the surface, it can bring diamonds with it. These diamonds are found inside the rocks created when the magma cools.
2. Figures show that 80 per cent of all diamonds are sold in New York City. The city’s famous Diamond District is home to over 4,000 jewellers housed in one location in Manhattan.
3. Many large cities are home to diamonds. An interesting fact is that Antwerp in Belgium is affectionately known as the diamond capital of the world.
The diamonds go on to create some beautiful pieces of jewellery, including diamond eternity rings. Rings such as these are a popular choice and are available from jewellers such as https://www.comparethediamond.com.
4. It is surprisingly easy to dig for diamonds, and you can do so in Arkansas. Murfreesboro boasts the Crater of Diamonds State Park, which is the eighth largest crater and home to diamonds. The park also has an abundance of amethysts and other special stones. The largest diamond discovered in the US was the Uncle Sam Diamond – this white diamond was discovered in 1924.
5. Engagement rings with diamonds were invented in 1477. Archduke Maximilian of Austria presented Mary of Burgundy with a diamond engagement ring in that year, with flecks of diamonds used to create the outline of the letter M.
6. Finally, some diamonds may have come from outer space. Diamonds have been found formed in an interstellar surround. Carbonado diamonds, which are prominent in South America and Africa, are thought to have been deposited by an asteroid that hit the earth three billion years ago.
Show someone you care with a sparkling diamond
What does the future hold for diamonds? According to the New York Times lab-grown diamonds represent two per cent of the world’s diamond supply.
What does ‘diamond’ actually mean?
Many don’t know that diamond’ means ‘invincible’. It is derived from the Greek word ‘adamas’, which is another term for ‘indestructible’.