The problem is pests is a very old one. It is assumed that as soon as human started cultivating crops for their survival, pests were introduced into their lives. Gradually pests found their way from crop fields into our homes and started dwelling in the same premises as our families. Pest control is a necessity because many pests can be very harmful to our health.
There are many ways to deal with pests, depending on the organism and the scale if infestation. Methods of pest control Essex can be largely divided into the following categories:
- Pest control by physical barriers-This method is most relevant for agricultural fields and gardens. This type of pest control involves setting up physical barriers like nets and plastic sheets around the crop or plant.
- Pest control by mechanical means-This method of controlling infestation by pests involves direct removal of pests from their infestation territory. This method is more popular for big rodents like rats and squirrels, some birds and insects. However, this method is not very suitable for a large scale or widespread infestation.
- Pest removal by biological agents-Some biological predators of pests have been successfully used on a large scale. For example, geckos are natural predators of many insects and harmless to the crops. Therefore, they have been used as a means to wipe out insects from crop fields. Similarly, keeping a cat as a pet keeps mice and rats away from your home.
- Pest control by electronic means-One very useful application of science and technology has been the use of electromagnetic and ultrasonic waves for pest extermination. Machines with electromagnetic and ultrasonic emission selectively affect the nervous system of mice, rats, and insects and serve to repel them far away.
- Pest control by using chemicals-The most widespread way of pest control Essex is by using chemicals to contain the population and activity of pests. Based on the type of chemical being used, these chemicals may be further sub-classified as follows:
- Near-organic and inorganic
Organic chemicals are naturally occurring and substances that have natural properties of repelling insects. For example, botanical products like pyrethrins and fermentation products like spinosad.
Near organic and inorganic substances are those that are naturally occurring compounds without elemental carbon in them. Examples include boric acid, sulphur, arsenic, diatomaceous earth and silica gel. Petroleum-derived products and insectisidal soaps are also getting popular as pest control agents.
Synthetic compounds are specifically designed and synthesised to kill pests and are widely known as pesticides. For example, SP-320 class of compounds attacks the nervous system of insects and causes toxicity to them. Indoxacarb is a sodium channel blocker and kills pests by causing aberrations in nervous system signalling.
Different types of substances and organisms can be used for pest control Essex. The decision to choose a particular type of pest control is governed by many factors like the area of the infested land/property, type of pests, severity of their attack etc. A reliable pest control service should be contacted for their extermination.